Sunday, January 31, 2010

Launch

Ok, here I am. I’ve read many blogs over the years. There was a great one about the Washington Nationals during their first two seasons, and then Guy Kawasaki’s blog about “How to Change the World.” I still like that one. The Nationals guy just quit one day. I miss him.

A few things I liked about blogs are that they’re short. If they have a point they can be instructive, they can lead to interesting discussions and may even be funny.

My objective for this blog is simple.  I am not on the cutting edge of technology, politics, or business.  I tend to be a “Fast Follower” as Jeffery Moore described in his book "Crossing the Chasm." I have always enjoyed learning from the innovators, and working with clients and friends to take advantage new, game changing, ideas.

Another favorite book of mine is Michael Crichton’s "The Great Train Robbery." As with all of his books, it had several themes. The first was about the event itself,  another was about the transformative effect technology. He made the point that the Victorians were the first to experience dramatic and continual change.

The Victorian era saw the birth of the Industrial Revolution. A primary driver of that change was the invention and rapid adoption of railway technology. Before then, as he said, ideas could only travel as fast as a horse could run.

Once ideas got into faster motion, things really started to change. The rate of change, from that day to this, has only increased.

What continues to amaze me is how we, the people of today, react to a world in a state of constant and accelorating change.

This blog will be a series of short presentations on the things I come across that change, or cause change.  I make no promises that I will be right, the topics practical, insightful or funny, but we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment