Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The next "Killer" App is just not an App

Ok, I am an iPhone addict. I admit it.I have always been fascinated by how technology changes the way we look at the world.

In the last era, we spoke in terms of the next “Killer App.” It would have be something that would change the game like Lotus’ 123.

Today, though, the honor of “defining technology” has got to go to the “smart phone” simply because we haven’t come up with a better name for this amazing device.

Here are few apps, all to be found at the AppStore,  that prove the point that this time around, it’s the platform that is changing the way we look at what technology can offer us:

AroundMe, gives you a view into the variety of establishments sorted by distance to your general location.

JotNotPro, provides a portable scanner! You take a picture of a document, adjust the framing, click “process” and you have the ability to email a .PDF! Great for Expense Reports, or just anything you’d need to scan.

FiosRemote, this one was a bit too tricky to set up, but once working, it has turned into the best TV Remote Control I’ve ever used. It’s still odd using my cell phone as a TV Remote.

Netfix, again, who would have thought you’d be able to watch movies on your phone! Not only does this app work very well, it also helps manage the Netflix account.

KindleReader, not only can you read books (on a good screen), but when you switch between your phone and your “reader” device, it knows that you’ve moved ahead so you don’t have to hunt for where you left off!

The thing that hit me when looking at these apps as I was thinking about my current favorites, was that I ignored the fundamental value of Texting (no other way to consistently connect with my teenagers), Maps (an amazing free navigational service) iTunes/iPod (the ubiquitous music machine) and, oh yeah – it’s also a mobile telephone.

The killer app is just not an app - it's the device.  The ability to integrate technology in so many creative ways transcends a mear application.  The platform is the key.  Here's my favorite question....what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment